August 16th was our 7th meeting
Next Meeting: Wednesday, September 20th
8:00 pm @ Peachtree Growler Co.
5450 Peachtree Pkwy, Peachtree Corners, GA
The following attended the July 19th meeting:
Last meeting review (July 19th):
* We decided on the Brew/style for the September 20th meeting: Brown Ale.
* We decided on the Brew/style for the October 18th meeting: Octoberfest.
* Stephen went over the PC Masher’s officer list from the June meeting.
> President – Stephen – Big Picture v. Small Picture
> Vice President – Jay
> Secretary – also Stephen (for the time being)
> Treasurer – tbd
> Communications Co-Directors – Sterling, Chris, & Taylor
> Master of Pours (& Sergeant of Arms) – Dave
> Events Director – Steve
* Stephen gave a kind of treasurer’s report.
* The Communication directors’ gave a report about the web page & slack.
* We talked about AHA & PGC’s insurance briefly.
* Steve agreed to become the Events Director.
The Executive Council met twice, July 26th and August 2nd
1 – The EC reviewed a draft of the Constitution and By-Laws, combined as one document. The document includes a “Vision,” in Article I, Section C. The document includes annual dues of
2 – The EC proposed the following AGENDA for general meetings going forward:
1 – Administrative agenda
2 – Evaluating Beer using AHA/BJCP guidelines
3 – Socialize and if desired, buy PGC flights after (but not before) evaluating member brews.
3 – Educating our members is included in the proposed vision, so Dave agreed to do an educational piece about Cascade hops, since it was the required hops in the August brew style.
4 – Jay agreed to do an educational piece in September on Home Brew 101.
5 – The Executive Council plans to meet on the 1st Wednesday of each month.
NEXT order of business:
* John H. was elected Treasurer.
* The Constitution and By-Laws was proposed. A vote to adopt it will be held during the September General PC Mashers meeting. The description of Article II, Section B: Active Member was discussed. It had also been discussed during the EC meetings. The discussion is around an active member must “brew or helped brew at least once in the past 3 months.” The major points brought up are: we want “active members” to be homebrewers, but we plan to have some leniency in the requirement; especially since we plan to have brewing opportunities at PGC, so members can “help brew.”
* We decided on a “Fall Seasonal” beer style for November’s monthly meeting.
* We decided on a “Winter Seasonal” beer style for December’s monthly meeting.
* Steve will pick some days & times for tours, for instance – breweries like Jekyll Island in Alpharetta, Cherry Street in Cumming, etc.?
* Steve announced that he talked with Brew Depot, and you can get a 12% discount as a member of PC Mashers.
Dave made a tea out of Cascade hops for an example of the August brew/style. It was very strong, but you certainly understood the smell and flavor of Cascade hops.
Evaluate member brews (and other beer) using AHA/BJCP guidelines,
The August 15th meeting Brew/style is:
Everyone brews a recipe with Cascade hops. Adding any other hop during or dry hopping is OK.
1 – John brought Jay’s – New England IPA
2 – Chris – American Pale Ale
3 – David – Smash mirasol and cascade
4 – Stephen – American Porter (3rd time)
As a reminder, Brew/Styles are:
* Brown Ale – September 20th meeting.
* Octoberfest – October 18th meeting.
* Fall Seasonal – November 16th meeting.
* Winter Seasonal – December 21st meeting.